Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The First Drum Lesson

I'm just back from giving my son his first "drum lesson." So is he a superstar? Well, he is to me, but I doubt that he is ready to rock out in any stadiums yet. There is so much that he needs to learn: how to hold sticks, how to strike the drums properly, how to keep time, basic grooves and the list goes on. The funny thing is...he doesn't know or care or know that he should care about any of that stuff. He just wants to wail away on the drums and think of himself as a drummer. He actually told me he is better than me now, and though he won't have to go far to be better than me, right now it is a little misguided.

Makes me think about how God must feel when He is done giving me a "life lesson." He must get quite a laugh watching me wail away thinking that I've got it all figured out while He knowingly shakes His head wondering when I will learn how to hold the sticks. I think I'll take myself less seriously for now. Oh yeah, am I a superstar? Well, even though I'm far from it, God's word reminds me of His love and I can almost picture Him sitting all alone in the stadium tapping His foot as I "rock out."

No comments: