Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Better Love

I thought it would be fun. We had just gotten tons of snow and there were tunnels just waiting to be dug through massive snow piles. So, though it was cold, we soldiered on. I bundled up my boy, got ready myself and trooped out into the snowy landscape. Barely a minute, it seemed, had gone by when he started whining and crying and complaining of being cold. Thinking this to be impossible, I told him to get on with playing. This of course didn't help and the crying continued. I became rather annoyed (and to my shame let him know it) at the thought of going back in after being outside for less time than it had taken me to put on my snow boots in the first place. Never-the-less inside we went, with me being noticeably annoyed the whole way in. As we shed the layers that we had put on only minutes before I found that my sons boots were full of snow and his lower legs were red as red can be, due to the cold. It seems that someone's dad had forgotten to tuck his son's pantlegs into their boots causing extreme discomfort. Man did I feel bad. I got his wet clothes off, rapped a blanket around him and cuddled him until he was comfortable once again. As I took him upstairs for his nap I apologized for how I had mistreated him.

So now here I sit not feeling altogether proud of myself, contemplating just how unloving I have been on this snowy valentine's day. I find myself being very grateful that my Father in heaven is not like me. That His love is so much more understanding. That He knows all the things that are causing me extreme discomfort. That His concern for me runs so very deep. I'm glad that He does not show me ugly displeasure at my crying as I showed my boy. How much better is His love than the often times shallow things that we call love.

Today would you take a minute to ponder just how much you are loved by God. I don't care who you are or what you've been up to, God loves you more than you know. I for one am glad for that and I am going to do my best with the rest of my day to share that love.

No comments: